Saturday, November 10, 2012

Score!

It is time once again for my library's biannual book sale!  I went today, and  bought 13 books for my family members, plus 11 books for me, all for $29.50.  Pretty amazing. 

I'm most excited about finding The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott, which has been on my TBR list for a while. 









I also picked up Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James, which has been intriguing me.  But, I decided that if I want to read that, I should read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, first.  Death Comes uses Austen's characters, but puts them in a murder mystery.  I was pretty harsh about Austen when I read Emma earlier this year, but my sister informs me that I am *wrong* about her.  Apparently Austen is objectively a great author, and any subjective opinion to the contrary is sadly misinformed.  I'll give her another try, and I did find a nice copy of Pride and Prejudice
I stepped outside of my comfort zone, and checked out the science fiction section this year.  I figured that if some people consider Ready Player One by Ernest Cline to be science fiction, then maybe I like science fiction, and just didn't realize it.  I picked up Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke from that section, which looks like it will take my beloved British historical fiction and mix in a large dose of magic.  It might be interesting. 
Finally, I got new books by authors whose work I have read and liked:  Zeitoun by Dave Eggers; Memoir from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin; and The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett.  In fact, the sale was so crazy that I got home and realized that I had picked up two copies of Patchett's book, so I gave that, and a great copy of A Watery Part of the World by Michael Parker, which I just couldn't resist, to my friend, Kim.

Once again, I was disappointed not to find any Murakami, and I've never had any luck finding back issues of McSweeney's at these sales.  Apparently, those either are not at all popular in Beverly Hills 48025, or they are so well loved that no one wants to donate them.  My guess is the former.  Oh well.  I think I've got enough to restock my nightstand for another year.

Still Reading:  Year of the Gadfly by Jennifer Miller

Still Listening to:  Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...