Friday, May 11, 2012

Score!

It's that time again!  Time for my library's used book sale!  I got some great picks tonight that I'm really excited to read.  The ones that I can't wait to start are:

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell - I really loved Black Swan Green by Mitchell, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.







Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross - this book has been on my radar for a while now though I'm really not sure why. 








I am really (dorkishly) excited about reading The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer, after reading Helen of Troy by Margaret George.  The trick to picking these copies was to find some that were used by the less studious students who didn't underline everything their teachers read.







Finally, I was intrigued by Happy Families  by Carlos Fuentes, probably because I just referenced Tolstoy's opening to Anna Karenina in talking about the mother inspired memoirs.  Speaking of memoirs, I steered clear of that section, since it seems like I have read so many of them lately.







I also got a couple of books by authors that I had read other books by and liked, including Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks and My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey.  Goodreads has recommended some other books for me that I picked up, including The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman, In the Woods by Tana French and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. 

All told, I got 8 hard cover books (all in great shape), 12 paperbacks, and a dvd for my daughter, all for $30.00.  Not bad!  Now I have to find a place to put them . . .

Still Reading:  A Moment in the Sun by John Sayles.  I am about 40% into this one, and I'm liking it, but hoping it doesn't slow down.

Still Listening to:  The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

1 comment:

  1. I got a bag full of books for me and Megan at the 1/2 price sale! I got of copy of Bridget Jone's Dairy-a fav, that I read years back and Madame Bouvery! Many more too for $9.25!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...