Thursday, May 17, 2012

Oh No She Didn't

Oh yes, I did.  How, when I was out walking my dog, and noticed that a neighbor who is moving has left a card catalog by the curb, could I not stop?  My favorite scene in my favorite book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer, involves Oskar looking up his dad's name in a card catalog.  And now I have my own.



There it is!  Yes, there's a water spot on the top, but nothing I couldn't hide with a place mat.  Of course, my ultimate plan would be to refinish it.  However, if I zoom out, and show you the rest of the garage, you might notice that I already have a china cabinet (left) and a barrister's bookcase (right) waiting for my tender loving care.


You might also notice that my husband's car is missing.  Do you really think that I would be able to garbage pick an out of date storage unit if he was home? 

Did you see my ball of twine?  Here it is up close:


Now that's some twine!  What will I ever do with it?  I have no idea, but it was $5.00 at an estate sale, and I couldn't resist. 

If you are in need of the perfect garbage picking vehicle, I highly recommend the Little Tikes Explorer Wagon pictured below:



We got ours about 14 years ago, when I was pregnant with my son.  It has hauled everything from kids to coolers to landscaping pavers.  We have two cracked wheels now, so I know it won't last forever.  It's sort of funny to be in the market for a new wagon (exactly the same, please) when my youngest child is 12. 

Not such a literary post, but I had to share my good fortune with someone!

I missed the Typical Book Group meeting this week.  They discussed Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.  I read the book before I started blogging, but I did mention it in passing when I wrote about The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai.  They also picked the BFB (Big Fat Book) that we'll read over the summer.  The official word hasn't come out to us absentee members yet, but rumor has it we'll be reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  It's been on my TBR list for a while, so I hope that rumor is confirmed.

Still Reading:  A Moment in the Sun by John Sayles.  I had to go on a flight this week, and wanted to take it with me, so I bought the Kindle version.  I didn't think that a 968 page hard covered book would be the best traveling companion.  Plus, now I know that I am 61% complete.

Almost Done Listening to:  The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  I am really liking this book and will be blogging about it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...