Tuesday, November 27, 2012

At Last

Finally, my mid-workday Googling has paid off!  The NYT Notable Book List for 2012 is online!  Last year, I found the list on line on November 23, so I have been anxiously looking for it for about a week now.  

Two of the books on my TBR list made it - Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel and Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  I have been trying to get Bring up the Bodies from my library for quite some time, and I thought that it would finally be available now that the Man Booker Prize hype had died down.  Oh well.  It's sure to be off the shelves for months now.

I was surprised that Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru made the list, given the conflicted reviews that it received from the Times.  The Starboard Sea by Amber Dermont made the list too, which was just as unexpected.  No one seems to be talking about that book, and it deserves some publicity.

At Last by Edward St. Aubyn made the list too.  This is the fifth and final book in the Patrick Melrose series.  I haven't read any of this series, but my sister recommends it, and I aggressively hinted that I wouldn't mind if she bought me a couple of the books for Christmas.  I bought Building Stories by Chris Ware as a Christmas gift, and have been feeling a little unsure about whether my intended recipient will like it.  Now at least I can smugly tell him that the Times says he should like it.

What did I add to my TBR list?  I am sure that I could add 5 or 6, but so far, I have only added 3:  The Enchantments by Kathryn Harrison, The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin, and This is How you Lose Her by Junot Diaz.  The Enchantments is about Rasputin and his family, and sounds perfect.  I love historical fiction about royalty, although my royals are usually British.  This is How you Lose Her has been flirting with my TBR list ever since it came out.  I didn't love The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Diaz, but my favorite character from that book, Yunior, is featured in this collection of short stories.  I had to force myself not to add Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon to the list.  But since I have 3 unread Chabon novels in my nightstand, I feel like I should work my way through some of his oldies before I earn this goody.

Can't wait to read!

Still Reading:  Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Still Listening to:  The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...