Friday, November 11, 2011

Score!

Tonight I went to my library's semi-annual used book sale, and scored some new-to-me books for my nightstand.  While I was hoping for some Murakamis, that was not to be.  Instead, I came home with some interesting finds. 

I'm most intrigued by The Savage Detectives  by Roberto Bolano.  I was really only interested in this one because I am trying to work my way up to reading 2666 by the same author.  But, when I got home, I found random stuff crammed inside the pages, including a bus ticket from Paris, a currency exchange receipt from a Spanish speaking country, and a Chilean currency exchange chart.  I'm curious whether I got this book from a person with sloppy habits, a person who wants to brag that he's been where the story is set, or a person who is trying to provide me with useful information that will assist in my understanding of the book.  My guess is the second, but I'm interested anyway.


Next, I found another book by Sarah Waters.  This one is called Fingersmith.  I loved The Little Stranger, and have blogged about it often.  At the last book sale, I bought Tipping the Velvet by Waters.  However, I still haven't gotten around to reading TTV.  I think my expectation of a lesbian love story is scaring me off.  Maybe Fingersmith will be a better transition for me to Waters' earlier works.






Then, I got My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk.  I really liked Museum of Innocence by this author, even though I wouldn't call it one of my favorites, and I can't even say why I liked it as much as I did.  My Name is Red has great reviews, and I am excited to read it too.








I also picked up The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which won the Pulitzer and which Amazon constantly recommends to me, Lit by Mary Karr, which has fallen on to and off of my TBR list a few times, and The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon.  I tend to either love or hate memoirs, so I think that is why I have put off reading Lit for so long.  The Mysteries of Pittsburgh has a sticker in it indicating that it is From the Library of Edward Sullivan, and is also embossed as being from The Library of EJS, E J Sullivan, III.  Apparently, he didn't want to lose it.

There are several "novel challenges" that will begin on January 1, 2012, including 2 that I have found so far that challenge the participant to read as many books as possible that the reader already owns.  I plan to pick a challenge, and then, after Christmas, post a list of the books that I have, and that I hope to read in 2012.  The pressure is on for me to clean out my nightstand now, before I have to tell you everything that I have kept hidden inside.

Sorry, I had to stop blogging for a moment, in order to observe 11:11 on 11/11/11.  According to my daughter, during that minute (and at the same minute 12 hours earlier) we could wish for whatever we wanted, and our wishes will come true as long as we don't tell them.  How could I not wish for her to keep wishing?  She didn't have school today, and by a gift of fate I was with her for both wishes.  Yes, she is 11, and yes, we have discussed that she will also be 22 at 2:22 on 2/22/22, but my guess is that won't be quite as good.  No comments about how I shouldn't allow my 11 year old to be awake this late - it's a special occasion, right?

Still reading: Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum

Still Listening to:  The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...