Saturday, May 7, 2011

Score!

My library's semi-annual book sale was last night, and I did pretty well!  The five titles that I'm most excited about are:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.  Since reading What is the What I sort of want to read everything Eggers has ever written.  That will be very difficult since he has written so much outside of the typical novel format.
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.  When I picked this up, I actually had confused it with The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson, which came out about the same time and has a similar cover, but I'm excited to read Major Pettigrew nonetheless.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.  I was turned off of Chabon after trying to read Summerland with my son, but after reading Fountain City, I'm back!  I also picked up The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Chabon.
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters. I really liked The Little Stranger by Waters, so I am interested to read this one too.  In searching for information about TLS online, I stumbled onto some reviews that seemed to imply that Waters is a lesbian author, meaning an author writing for lesbians, regardless of the author's personal preferences.  Velvet has two naked girls on the cover, and the summary says that it is the story of one falling in love with the other.  I guess we'll see how it goes!  I finally got a copy of The Little Stranger too.


And finally, The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory.  Yep, I needed more historical junk food.






I also picked up The True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey, since I liked Parrot and Olivier in America  by that author, People of the Book  by Geraldine Brooks, since I seem to talk about that book constantly, Three Junes by Julia Glass, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo, and I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley. 

Now it is clear that if there is an epidemic affecting Beverly Hills, Michigan, so that we cannot leave our home for a month, or six, I will not run out of books to read.  Hopefully someone will deliver food.

3 comments:

  1. There is an excellent film (BBC, I think) of Tipping the Velvet. Netflix has this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Craig! I looked for it, and saw that it was also a BBC mini-series. There were also rumors of a 2009 movie starring Beyonce and Eva Longoria. I think I'm going to have to read this one sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes; I was thinking of the mini-series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...