Friday, May 2, 2014

Score!

Once again, I tackled my library's semi-annual used book sale, and came out a winner.  This year, there was nothing that I went in wanting, but I found a few things that I couldn't leave without.



To start with, I picked up a few popular books that my friends and fellow bloggers have recommended, including The Art of Fielding by Carl Harbach, The Son by Philipp Meyer, and The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman.








 
My prize find is an Advance Reader's Copy of My Life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead, which I've read reviews of, and toyed with reading.  I didn't add it to my TBR list because it seemed stupid for me to try to read a book based on Middlemarch, when I had never read the original.  So, when I found My Life in Middlemarch, I went straight to the classics section to try to find a copy of Middlemarch by George Eliot to buy too.  The irony is, I actually donated a copy of Middlemarch to this sale just last week, after deciding that I was never going to read it, and I couldn't even find my own copy to buy back!  Oh well - it shouldn't be that hard to find a copy elsewhere.



I also made a few questionable choices.  Given that a have an enormous nightstand full of books that I haven't read yet, do I really need to pick up a book that I've never heard of?  Apparently, I do.  I couldn't pass up Sunflowers:  A Novel of Vincent Van Gogh by Sheramy Bundrick.  I'm such a sucker for books about the stories behind old paintings.  Then, when I saw Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon, I had to grab it.  Even though it's a large print edition.  I know I should have left that one for someone who actually needs large print versions of books, but there weren't any other copies.  I promise to donate it back after I'm done...I promise to donate it back after I'm done...I promise to donate it back after I'm done.

All in all, a pretty good sale!  Stay tuned for the reviews.


Still Reading:  The Titans by John Jakes

Still Listening to:  The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...