Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Another Hole in my Head


Once again, I have possibly taken things too far.  Yep.  I signed up for another book group.  A few years back, I joined a second book group, but that was short lived.  I mean, if people don't show up to discuss Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, do I really want to associate with these people?  That group died, but my first book group, The Typical Book Group continued.  Now my neighborhood has started a book group.  I missed the first meeting last month, when they discussed The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer but I was there tonight to talk about The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

This group was all business!  There were 9 of us there, and the meeting started at 7:00.  By 7:20, we were seated with snacks and ready to discuss.  One (!) of us had a glass of wine.  We talked theme, we talked symbolism, we talked meaning.  We were home by 9:00.

All of us unexpectedly loved the book.  We agreed that none of us would have read the book if Kim hadn't picked it, judging by the title alone.

We said a lot about how involved Victoria was with food.  How did Grant know food was the way to her heart?  Did Victoria think that she needed to keep feeding her baby because of all the times that she, herself had been hungry?  We were very disappointed in Elizabeth.  We were all surprised when she let Victoria down at a point, but at times we were disappointed in Victoria too.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle a second book group long term, but I'm all set for next month.  We are reading Me Before You  by Jojo Moyes, which I have already read, so all I have to do is show up.  That I can manage.

Still Reading:  Night Film by Marisha Pessl

Just Finished Listening To:  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  I'll be blogging about this one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...