Friday, November 8, 2013

Score!

It's time again for my library's semi-annual used book sale!  This time, I came prepared with a list of the books that I wanted.  I've learned my lesson - there were no Murakamis or McSweeneys on my list.  Right off the bat, I found what I was looking for.  The first 3 books that I grabbed were on my list, and then I found 4 Advanced Placement test study guides for my son.  He'll be thrilled!  Actually, not.  There were only three books on my list that I couldn't find - Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple, Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, and Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.  I think I was too early on Bernadette - if any copies were donated they were probably snatched up by volunteers.  From what I hear everyone loves Nourishing, so maybe no one would donate it.  And the problem with Year of the Flood is guessing where the volunteers would put it.  It should be in sci-fi, but is equally likely to have been grouped with fiction, or even history.  Enough complaining.  What did I find?  Here you go:

New York by Edward Rutherfurd was one of the three books that I got from my list. The other two are Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks which I've looked for the last few sales, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.


I seemed to be attracted to non-fiction tonight, starting with Henrietta Lacks.  I also picked up Kitchen Confidential with Anthony Bourdain, even though I've never seen his show and (disappointingly) it doesn't look like any recipes are included.  The last non-fiction book that I got was The Hemingses of Monticello, by Annette Gordon-Reed, which I had in my hot little hands at an earlier sale, but let go. 
 
Lastly, I picked up two randoms that I had heard something, but not much about - This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper and Rules of Civility by Amor Towles.  When I was checking out, the volunteer who took my money raved about Civility, but said that she wished that she had read the Afterward first.  That's the kind of advice that I like to get, as I've had that problem before.
Now I've got to get reading!  Can't wait to start.
 
Still Reading:  The True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
 
Still Listening to:  Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.  As you may have guessed, since the sequel, The Year of the Flood was on the list of books that I wanted to buy tonight, I have warmed up to this story.  In fact, I'm almost done with it.  Stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. Library sales are my favorite!! I'm reading Year of Wonders right now and really enjoying it and Henrietta Lacks is such a great, great non-fiction book. The person who rung you up is right - Rules of Civility is a fantastic read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! I saw that you are reading Year of Wonders. Did you read March by Geraldine Brooks yet? I linked to it in the post above as a book where you should read the Afterward first. I really liked People of the Book by Brooks too

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...