Thursday, May 2, 2013

Omigod!

Recently I learned a new song.  My daughter will be dancing to it in her recital next month, so I have been hearing it every week while she is in her dance class.  It is called "Omigod You Guys", and it is from the musical "Legally Blonde".  To get the full effect, you are going to need to click here, and see a Youtube video of the cast performing the song. 

Now that I've set the mood, you are prepared to hear about The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella.  In Undomestic, Samantha, a high priced London attorney, is about to become a partner in her law firm.  It is nothing for her to work 80 hour weeks, and she rarely even visits her apartment, let alone cleans it.  Then it happens.  Samantha makes a big mistake.  In fact, she makes a fifty million pound (as in "quid" - I just don't have the right symbols to type this properly) mistake that can't be fixed.  Samantha is so shell shocked when she realizes what happened that she walks out of her office and gets on the nearest train, not knowing or caring where it is headed.  When the train stops, she walks up to a nearby home to ask for a glass of water.  The homeowners, Trish and Eddie Geiger, are expecting a new cleaning lady to be stopping by for an interview.  In a comedy of errors, you can guess what happens.  Samantha's competitive spirit comes through when she realizes that the Geigers are actually considering turning her down for the cleaning lady position.  She instinctively pads her resume until the Geigers are so impressed that they can't let her go.

The antics that follow would make Amelia Bedelia proud.  Predictably, the Geigers also have a hunky gardener.  It is at this part of the story where "Ohmigod You Guys" lodged itself solidly in my head, and the story gets a little too light and fluffy . . . Omigod, oh my God you guys, looks like Sam's gonna win the prize . . . . You remember that Elle Woods in "Legally Blonde" was a lawyer too, right?   Just when Samantha has grown accustomed to the English countryside, something clicks in her brain, and she realizes that her mistake might not be what it appears.  For me, the story picked up here, when Samantha started thinking like herself again.

This book was given to me by my former boss at the law firm where I worked when I first became an attorney.  I sort of wondered while listening to the story if she was trying to tell me that I had really screwed up when I was working for her, and that maybe I should give housekeeping a try.  Somehow I don't think she would have waited 15 years to tell me, if that was her intended message.

Are there flaws in the story?  Certainly.  But nothing that you won't be able to get past if you are looking for a light beach read.

This is the 10th book for the Off the Shelf Challenge!  5 more to go.

Up Next on CD:  I'm not sure.  I'm next on the list to get Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt, but it's not mine yet.  I checked out The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell, but I'm going to hold off on starting it for another day or so to see if Wolves becomes available.

Still Reading:  The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...