Friday, April 12, 2013

BAM!

Back in the good old days, and by that I mean 2010, I had 3 big box book stores within 5 miles of my house.  First the Barnes and Noble closed.  Then Borders went into bankruptcy.  And since February of 2011, there has not been a bookstore that I can get to without driving for 20 minutes.  What about the independents, you may ask?  When you have 3 big boxes that close together, there's not much market left for them, and I am not aware of any.

Then it happened.  Books-A-Million moved in to the space that one of the Borders stores left vacant, only about a quarter mile from my house!  It opened yesterday, and I was there with my credit card and two kids today.  I insisted that each kid pick something out ($9.99 [!]Taylor Swift magazine for my daughter, and $4.99 Rolling Stone for my son), and I got The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz which has been on my TBR list for months.  I also bought into the membership card.  Anything to keep this store open.

I have learned my lesson.  I will not always shop at Amazon.  I will not always shop at Amazon.  I will not always shop at Amazon.  I will not give up shopping at used book sales and checking books out of the library, but when I need a quick gift, or there's something I can't wait to find, B-A-M will be my new best friend.

Still Reading:  The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes

Still Listening to:  Ines of my Soul by Isabel Allende

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...