Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Typical Book Group Report - 9

Last night, The Typical Book Group met to discuss Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  We had so much to say that we couldn't keep from interrupting each other!  There were 7 of us there who had read the book, and 1 who had not.  We really wanted to talk about the details, so the poor person who hadn't read the book yet heard all the spoilers. 

We thought that one of the most interesting aspects of the book was how Amy's parents write the Amazing Amy books.  Obviously Amy felt that she had to live up to the character, and it was a little shocking to us how her parents seem to have used the books to scold real life Amy for her short comings.

We spent a lot of time talking about what was real and what was not.   We also talked about where the schemes went wrong, and what the future would hold.   I still don't want to spoil this for you, so I won't get into too much detail here.  Read the book and you'll know what I mean.  Also, I have a discussion of some of this on my Spoilers Page, if you are interested.

We tried to decide who should play Nick and Amy in the movie, which is sure to come out.  The rumor online seems to be that Reese Witherspoon will play Amy.  I wouldn't pick her.  I would pick the woman from the Samsung ad - you know the one where she says "I also made you a video.  You probably shouldn't watch it on the plane."  Her name is Margaret Emery, and she is blond, skinny, and maybe just a little on the edge of psycho.  I think she would be great.  As for Nick, well, none of us is opposed to Ryan Gossling.

Next month we are scheduled to discuss My Berlin KitchenA Love Story with Recipes  by Luisa Weiss.  Unfortunately, it seems that only 9 libraries in Michigan own the book, and it is also not available at any of the Barnes and Noble stores near me.  Amazon is still an option, but we are moving the meeting date up, so I would have to pay for shipping . . . we'll see what happens.

Still Reading:  LARP:  The Battle for Verona by Justin Calderone

Almost Done Listening to:  A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...