Monday, August 20, 2012

Growing Bored

OK.  I'm quitting The Grown-Ups by Victoria Glendinning.  It is the story of a man, Leo, his first wife, his second wife, his mistress, his son, his second wife's friend who is in love with him, and his second wife's friend who married his son because she could not marry him.  111 pages in, I know nothing about Leo that would make him attractive to any of these people, other than that he is supposed to be a famous philosopher.  As if that's believable.

I picked up this book because I had read Electricity by Glendinning, and really liked it.  I looked back at Electricity when I was disappointed by The Grown-Ups, and my son's ultrasound from my second trimester of pregnancy fell out.  It's obviously been a couple of years since I read it, since my son is just getting ready to start his first trimester of high school.  Both The Grown-Ups and Electricity are set in England, but The Grown-Ups is set in the present day (of when it was written in the late 1980's) and Electricity is historical fiction.  The historical fiction may be a better fit for Glendinning, since she is better known for her biographies.  The Grown-Ups was actually written before Electricity, and maybe my mistake was reading something earlier by an author that I liked, rather than something more recent.

If I had taken The Grown-Ups with me on vacation, and I didn't have many other choices, I am sure that I would have finished it, and possibly grown to like it.  But with a house full of books waiting for me to read them, I just don't have time to waste on something so-so.

At least that's one more down for the Off the Shelf Challenge.

Next up:  The Muslim Next Door:  The Qur'an, the Media, and That Veil Thing by Sumbul Ali-Karamali

Almost Done Listening to:  Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult.  I think I'll be writing about this one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...