Friday, April 13, 2012

Driving Hazards

Did you know that if, instead of going straight to work, you sit in your car listening to a book on CD in the parking lot of your child's school, you may wind up spending the morning with your dad, and your husband, and when neither of their jumper cables are long enough, the guy from AAA roadside assistance?  Yep.  It happened.  I was listening to Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin, and it's just too good to only listen to while driving.

I am only about 1/3 into the story, but so far, it is like a long fairy tale for adults.  The main characters at this point are Peter Lake, an orphan who raised himself in New York City at the turn of the last century, his nemesis, Pearly Soames, and Beverly Penn, the woman he falls in love with while trying to rob her father.

This is another 27 hour long story, so I have a lot more listening to do.  I'm asking for extra long jumper cables for Mother's Day, because I just can't be sure that I won't drain down my battery listening again.

By the way . . . don't forget to vote for this blog in the Independent Book Blogger contest by April 23, 2012.  The link is on the top right corner of this Blog. 

Still Reading:  Moby Duck by Donovan Hohn

Happily Listening to:  Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...