Friday, October 7, 2011

We Interrupt This Blog

I know that this blog is supposed to be about reading, but I have to call your attention to the movie, "Midnight in Paris".  This is a Woody Allen film, which I wasn't all that excited about seeing.  As far as I could tell though, Woody Allen did not make an appearance. 

You may have noticed that for the last few posts, I have ended by saying "Still Reading:  The Paris Wife by Paula McLain"  without further comment.  I was really excited about reading The Paris Wife, because I had heard that it was about Ernest's first wife, Hadley.  I have been interested in Hadley since I first heard the rumors that she burnt a great Hemingway novel, so I really wanted to read a novel from her perspective. 

However, so far, and I admit that I am only about 100 pages into it, The Paris Wife has not  been all that exciting.  But, after seeing "Midnight in Paris", I am rejuvenated, and want to dive back into it.  "Midnight in Paris" is a movie about a man from 2010 who is vacationing in Paris with his fiance and her parents.  He is a budding novelist who has a nostalgic longing to be in Paris in the 1920s, with Fitzgerald, Zelda, Hemingway, and Gertrude Stein.  His finance does not understand this, and discord soon follows.  Our novelist explores the Paris of the 1920s, and finds that in the '20s, people were longing for a "golden era" even earlier. 

Seeing Hemingway, Stein, and the other characters who also star in The Paris Wife has me ready to read more!  So, here we go again:

Still Reading:  The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Still Listening to:  The Lost City of Z by David Grann

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...