Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Friends Book Report

Tonight was the second meeting of the Friends Book Group.  We had 9 people at the meeting tonight to discuss Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah, and 7 of us had finished reading the book.  On the whole, we liked the book, with just two people who didn't really care for it.

It was sort of crazy: This book group actually spent most of the time talking about the book.  In my other book group, we always discuss the book for 20 minutes or a half hour, and spend the rest of the time gossiping.  This group is focused. 

An interesting perspective that came out of our discussion was that Meredith's dad was selfish in being the sole provider of love in the family, and should have forced or at least more strongly encouraged Anya to be a better, warmer mother.  I was surprised that a number of people at the meeting felt that the sister relationship in some ways mirrored their own relationships with their sisters, with some of the Friends being the responsible Meredith, and some being the fly-away Nina.  I sort of thought I was the only one who would recognize herself in these characters.  Maybe I'm more normal than I give myself credit for being.

Our next book will be Left Neglected by Lisa Genova, but we won't meet to discuss it until September.

Still reading (and loving):  All is Vanity by Christina Schwarz

Listening to:  A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.  I tried listening to The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon, but the reading was so campy that it drove me crazy before the end of the first disc.  I will keep the book, and try reading that instead of listening to the CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...