Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hmmm, That's Odd


The books that I post about on this blog may seem a little mismatched.  For the most part, I find the books that I read in three places:  1)  Books that my book group picks to read; 2) Books that I find and am attracted to at used book sales; and 3) Books that the New York Times reviews.  When I read about a book in the Times that I want to read, I put it on my Amazon wish list, and then, assuming no one buys it for me, I eventually get around to checking it out of the library.  That is what happened with Painting Below Zero by James Rosenquist.  I read this review in the Times, and decided that the book was one that I should read.

While the Times review made me want to read Painting Below Zero, I found the book hard to get into.  I generally give a book 100 pages before deciding that I won't read any more, but with this book, I gave up reading every word and started skimming around page 85.  In its defense, the Times review is accurate, and the book is well written.  However, I think that I was looking for more gossip and glamour than I found.  If you are a fan of James Rosenquist, you would probably really enjoy this book.  On the other hand, if you looked at the picture at the top of this post and thought "hmmm, that's odd", you might want to skip it.

Next up:  Electric Michelangelo by Sarah Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...